So...I was googling myself...for fun...and this image came up! This drawing is from my freshman year at Moore; I had no idea it was posted on my school's website! Bahaha. I'm surprised that I'm actually still quite happy with this figure study.
Charcoal on paper, probably 20"x30"....or something like that; I didn't start measuring things until the next year when I started in the illustration department :P
Saturday, March 19, 2011
So, a lot has changed with my thesis over the past month...good changes to be sure :)
For one thing, I've begun concentrating on spot illustrations for my hypothetical book. I really prefer working on them for a number of reasons
1. they're smaller
2. they're faster
3. they're portraits
4. they add variety to my end result
5. they're smaller AND faster ;)
Portraying characters I had originally intended for a scene in a spot illustration has been an interesting challenge however. In a scene the background and action can be used to say volumes about a character. In a spot, however, (which in this case is actually a small portrait) I'm confined to something much quieter and more personal and silhouette driven. The potential of subtle body language and costume count for a whole lot. I've incorporated symbolic elements from each character's story to make them more than just plain ole' portraits.
Widow with Two Mites, watercolor and digital, 9"x12"
Eve, watercolor, 9"x12"
All three of these ladies are still in progress, though the Widow and Eve are nearly there. I'm very excited to start painting Salome tomorrow! If you don't know the stories of these women (you might have heard of Eve...), they're very easy to find in your neighborhood search engine ;)
ALSO, I am still completing the scene of Hagar from my last post. I haven't abandoned my original plan! :P